Documents You Will Need for Cross-Border Moving

Are you thinking about cross-border moving between the US and Canada or vice versa? Have you thought about the different documents you will need in the process? Our team at Augusta Movershas all the information you’ll need for your move and we are here to help. This process can be extremely stressful and time-consuming so that’s why our team has decided to put this blog post together to make your moving project the easiest it can be. 

Cross-Border Moving: Canada to the US 

The most important part of this move is knowing the regulations that follow. Canadian citizens who are moving to the United States must know that they must arrive in the US before their goods do. Once they arrive at their destination, they are able to then declare that they have goods that are to follow.  

Canadian citizens also have specific documents that are to be present at this time. These documents include your passport, birth certificate, and a clear photo identification card. This applies to everyone in your household that is cross-border moving. Furthermore, a work visa, immigrant visa, or I-94 is needed. If your spouse has a different last name, you will also need to bring your copy of the marriage certificate. In specific situations, a letter from your employer is needed to be valid to transfer. 

As well, your social insurance number card must be brought over. Lastly, it is the responsibility of the person who is moving to fill out the 3299 form and provide it to the moving company before the moving company starts. 

Cross-Border Moving: US to Canada 

Now we will cover what documents are needed when moving from the US to Canada. You will notice that a handful of the documents are the same but there are a few that are different that you have to be aware of. In this case, a confirmation of residence status is needed and is required for each person who is traveling. As well, a Canadian work visa will have to be present. Again as the same as moving from Canada to the US, a valid passport will be needed. 

You will additionally need two copies of your inventory list indicating when these items will be arriving as well as all the formal details. In some situations, a letter from an employer will need to be present. Lastly, boxes must be correctly labeled.  

How Augusta Movers Can Help 

If you are looking for a friendly mover and clean trucks, Augusta Movers is the team for your long-distance move. Our team can assist your family with both packing servicesand moving services while providing the most trusted and reliable services. Our team is well versed in cross-border moving and can help answer all of your moving questions along the way.  


If you are looking to book a consultation with our team, please give us a call at 647-783-8730. Our team is thrilled to be a part of this new adventure ahead of you.