To some, moving is easy. This is often because in those situations, the people have likely had experience moving multiple times in the past. But what if you don’t have any moving experience at all?
While the initial idea of a move may feel intimidating and complicated, we here at Augusta Movers are here to let you know that it doesn’t have to be that way. Today, we would like to offer you, the reader, a comprehensive guide on how to move as a first-timer.
The Preparation Checklist
Before getting into the nit and grit of your move, preparation must be done at an adequate level. If no planning or prep is implemented before the big move, you will deal with loads of delays, complications, and potential safety issues. Below, we list just a few things you should be prepared for before making the big move:
- Ask the sellers any questions you have. Getting information on your new home beforehand makes the transition much smoother. Questions such as “Where are the gas/electric meters” and “Which companies supply the energy/internet?” are important.
- Compare each business before choosing one. While it may be easier to pick the cheapest moving company and get on with the process, you are putting your whole move at risk if you don’t do the right research beforehand. While some companies may offer better pricing, it can often mean sacrificing quality as well. Make sure that you find a company (such as ours here at Augusta Movers) that favours both quality and affordability.
- Let movers know about fragile items beforehand. While listing “fragile” on certain boxes can be an additional help, we always urge you to let movers know about certain fragile items/boxes before a move.
- Redirect your mail to your new address.
- Clean your home prior to moving in. While one may assume that a home is 100% clean upon settling in, this is often not the case. Dust, debris and other contaminants can make the home look messy. To ensure you have a smooth move, clean your new home before bringing everything in.
- Get that time off of work! Since a moving project can be quite tedious in nature, you will want to take the required days off from work. Depending on how big or small your move is, this time off can range anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks.
- Set up insurance for your new place. This also means moving insurance if you have to.
The Moving Process
Now that you have everything you need to prepare properly, it’s time to actually implement the move. This will require following many steps, with just a few of them being:
- Putting screws/bolts from furniture and other appliances into a plastic bag and taping them to the designated item. This will make re-installation of these devices 10x easier upon arrival into your new home.
- Keeping a bag of essentials to yourself. This point is especially important when you’re hiring a moving company or your move is larger in scale. Always be sure to bring a bag of essentials with you (toilet paper, towels, linen, etc.). These items are things you use on a daily basis, and bringing them will mean you can take care of yourself as needed without having to rummage through all of your boxes.
- Furniture first, boxes second. While it can be tempting to leave the heavier things for last, it is actually more difficult to do it this way. This is because, in most cases, boxes will be in the way of where you want your furniture, and moving everything will become much more complicated than it has to be.
- Label, label, label! When in doubt, one of the best organization tips to keep in mind during a first move involves labeling every one of your boxes/bags. This way, when you move in you have a much simpler time figuring out which box goes where. You can label your items by type, room, function, etc. Whichever classification works best for you.
How Our Team Can Help
Your first move doesn’t have to be complex. With the help of our team here at Augusta Movers, you can focus on all the important tasks at hand while we do all the heavy work. If you are interested in learning more about our residential movers in Toronto, be sure to call our team at +1 (647) 783-8730 today. We look forward to hearing from you & helping in any way we can!